Consular legalization is confirmation of the documents compliance with the laws of the state of origin or authenticity certification of officials’ signatures, authorized to certify signatures on documents, as well as impressions of seals and stamps, affixed to the document. The documents intended for use on the territory of another country are subject to legalization in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine or in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, after which they are certified in the consulate (embassy) of the country, for which they are legalized.
Center of foreign languages lider and the department of consular service legalize the documents as follows:
- original documents on education of international form, when they are accompanied by a letter of statement of educational institution that had issued the document, certified in the relevant ministry;
- translations, copies and other documents, which are notarized or issued by public notaries and certified in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine;
- originals of official documents after new Ukrainian form, issued by civil status registration bodies and certified by the justice directorate of the region, where they were issued.
Three ways of consular legalization
1. Consular legalization of documents on the territory of the state, which issued that document.
The entire legalization procedure consists of the stages as follows:
- notarization of the document and correctness of its translation into the language of the state, where that document will be used;
- certification of the notary’s signature authenticity in the Ministry of Justice
- signature validity confirmation of an official of a body of the Ministry of Justice in one of the departments of the consular service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- documents legalization in the consulate of the country, in which the submitted documents will be used
2. Consular legalization of documents on the territory of the state, where that document has to be submitted
Stages of legalization:
- certification of foreign documents in diplomatic representative office or consular institution of the country, on the territory of which they were issued;
- legalization of documents in the authorized body of the consular service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that state, where those documents will be used (notarized translation of the documents into the language of the state, where those documents will be used, can be required).
3. Consular legalization of documents on the territory of a third state.
The third way of documents legalization is hardly ever used, although, under certain circumstances it could be used.
For legalization one must:
- pay for the service (60% of the service cost before submitting documents to the city of Kyiv and 40% of the service cost after receiving documents in the Center of Foreign Languages (with the apostille put or after consular legalization);
- submit the document (original or notarized copy, if necessary, it can be notarized translation);
- show passport or another ID.